Seriously. If you’re anywhere on the mid to north east coast in this blast out of Hades ass cold weather, be aware of the homeless if you venture outdoors.
Regardless of how liberal or conservative you are and how jaded you are and how much you think that homeless people “refuse to find shelter” and choose to be sleeping on the streets, if you see a shelter impaired human being, please dig out your little iphone 5 out of your pocket and use your special touch screen finger tip gloves to call one of the local numbers that are providing a pick up and shelter for those who have none.
Some of these homeless people are our veterans, some are just batshit crazy, some are, of course, junkies. But, honey, you weren’t so innocent with your legs splayed out in the air in college for half of Sigma Nu and you weren’t so cute wearing those same panties twice in a row last week because you were too lazy to change them when you woke up in the morning, so let’s not play judge about whose life is worth more on days when a pot of your scalding hot ramen water turns into brown fairy fart dust when you throw it into the wind because you ran outside to do it as soon as Linda Shartynipple on Fox 11 news scampered out and did it.
Here is a list of numbers for the Washington DC area and other cities. If this is not where you live, you already know how to stalk an ex like you’re in the NSA, so there should be no trouble looking up what number is provided for your area (or call 211).
- Atlanta: 404-447-3678 for the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless
- Baltimore: 311
- Birmingham, Ala.: 205-252-9571 for the Firehouse Shelter
- Boston: 617-534-2526 for Friends of Boston’s Homeless or dial 311
- Chicago: 311
- Denver: 720-944-1007 for Denver’s Road Home (during business hours)
- Detroit: 1-800-274-3583 and 1-800-343-4427
- Fort Collins, Colo.: 719-632-1822 for Springs Rescue Mission and 970-484-5010 for Catholic Charities-Larimer County
- Kansas City, Mo.: 816-474-4599
- Las Vegas: 702-369-4357 for HELP of Southern Nevada (from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday)
- Minneapolis: 612-879-7624 for St. Stephen’s street outreach team
- New York City: 311
- Philadelphia: 215-232-1984 for the Project HOME Homeless Outreach Hotline
- San Francisco: 311
- St. Louis: 314-802-5444 for the Housing Resource Center hotline (between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., Mon-Friday)
- Thunder Bay, Ontario: 807-620-7678 for the SOS team (operates between 2 p.m. and 2 a.m.)
- Toronto: 311
- Washington, D.C.: 1-800-535-7252 for the Hypothermia Hotline